It was my birthday yesterday (Happy Birthday to ME!) and a friend suggested I write a post about celebrating in style. Good idea! I love my birthday. Its not that I expect everyone else to love it too, but ever since I was a child, I have woken up on my birthday feeling good and that feeling has never gone away. It is the one day a year to celebrate YOU. Why should you downplay that? You are SO worth it! Here are my tips for making the most of your birthday. (you will notice my suggestions are really quite simple, but feel free to go all out!)
1. Eat what you want. Don't hold back. Pain au chocolat, french bread, manchego cheese and crabcakes. Whatever your heart desires!
2. Spend time with people you love. It doesn't need to be a party or a big to-do. Don't wait for others to plan it either - book time with those you want to see.
3. Wear something nice. Wear a dress if you feel like it or way too much jewelry. Go for the non-sensible shoes.
4. Buy a birthday dress. Remember when you were young and your mom would buy you a new dress to wear to your birthday party? What a wonderful memory. Why not treat yourself to a dress every birthday?
5. Take time to think about what you are grateful for. Consider it a birthday indulgence. Sit for a few minutes and reflect on all the wonderful things you are thankful for at this point in your life.
6. Tell people it is your birthday. I never understood why people hide their birthdays. Why not tell everyone! Let them wish you happy birthday. You deserve to hear it!
7. Make plans for your new year. Why share new years day with everyone else? This new years day is just for you! Make plans for what you would like to do or be in this year of your life.
8. Tell the people you love that you love them. You can do this any day really, but isn't today such a nice day for them to hear it?