Since I've been working on launching a business, I find myself running between meetings all day long. These meetings, unlike those in a traditional office environment, are super helpful and have been essential in moving our business forward. The downside is not in the time lost in the meetings themselves, but in the little chunks of time in between. What do you do when you have 15 to 30 minutes free between meetings or appointments? For a while I found myself surfing the internet, hanging out in a coffee shop (waiting for my next meeting) reading free local papers, or even turning on the TV to catch the beginning or end of random shows. But eventually losing all that time during a day left me feeling frustrated and I started to brainstorm ways to productively fill it.
- Read: I bookmark interesting articles when I come across them and when I have a few extra minutes, go back to read them. I've also taken to carrying my e-reader in my bag so I can pick up where I left off from the book I am reading.
- Clean & De-Clutter: Do a quick scan of the fridge and clean out anything old, start a load of laundry, sort through mail, clear off your workspace, go through your inbox.
- Blog: I have to admit, it has been hard to focus on thinking up post ideas for In Life & In Fashion while so focused on thinking about the business! That's why I've taken to using little chunks of time to come up with post ideas....hopefully this will help me to post more regularly.
- Brainstorm: My partner and I have a long list of things we are constantly discussing and brainstorming. I now keep a running list and when I find myself with a few moments, give some time to jotting down ideas and thoughts around some of our key strategies.
- Make a Phone Call: I used to avoid making phone calls. They feel disruptive and can be frustrating at times but they are also necessary! I now use little chunks of free time to make calls - even if its to book myself a haircut (finally!!)
Here are some other great ideas on what to do with short time periods during the day:
20 Useful Things you Can Accomplish in 15 Minutes - from PicktheBrain.com
15 Big Little Things You Can Do in 15 Minutes - from Forbes.com
How do you best use your little chunks of free time in a day?
If you liked this post, please do share it with a friend. Thanks!