image courtesy of marthastewart.com
Valentine's Day is coming up next week and instead of a traditional gift guide, I'm going to focus on the REAL stuff. Because money can't buy love, right? (all together now, "RIGHT!")
The ideas below will demonstrate your love far beyond a heart shaped box of chocolates or an over-priced dinner:
1. Write a heartfelt note or letter. Sometimes what you write down has more impact than what you say because it requires at least a little thought. Tell the important people in your life how you feel about them. No need to be overly poetic, just keep it simple. A card or note is best, but even an email will do.
2. Do something for them with no benefit to you. Go to a basketball game even if you could care less, watch the superbowl kick-off just because it makes them happy (are you sensing a sports-related theme here ). The point is, do something for the other person just because you know it is something they love.
3. Hug. I'm talking a serious squeeze, not one of those lame, half-assed, limp armed excuse for hugs. I recently learned that to really get a hug right, you should hold it for six seconds, as that is the amount of time necessary to promote the flow of mood boosting chemicals. Count with me: one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three...
4. Make something they love to eat. The way to anyone's heart is through their belly! Cook and bake your way into their heart(s). Last year I made these and they were a huge hit!
5. Tell them you appreciate something they've done for you. We often take the people who are there for us the most for granted. Tell them thank you and tell them why. (and then hug them...for six seconds remember?)
6. Surprise! Who doesn't love surprises big or small? It doesn't have to be anything too complicated or expensive. Plan a day together, bring home their favourite chocolate croissant and latte, or fold all the laundry (which would be a complete shock in my house!)
Looking for more non-cheesy Valentine's Day ideas? Click here and here.
How will you say I love you?
Share This Article With Your Friends