Photo courtesy of Toronto Star
Joanna Track is one of my entrepreneurial idols. She successfully launched and sold sweetspot.ca in a time where there were very few Canadian female innovators/entrepreneurs to look up to. Today Joanna runs Dealuxe, an awesome (seriously, go check it out now if you haven't already!) online shopping destination for fashionable, contemporary apparel that she co-founded. She is super smart and savvy but also incredibly genuine and generous. I am lucky to be able to turn to Joanna while I work on launching my own venture! Joanna was happy to answer 9 Questions for In Life & In Fashion, but first I had to ask her about the recent shocking news that Rogers is shutting down Sweetspot.ca! Here is what she said:
"I was shocked to hear the news that Rogers has shuttered Sweetspot.ca. Not only was the brand a trail blazer in the industry, it's strategy was built around women and digital, two areas that are not only highly lucrative right now, but ones that Rogers has publicly stated they are focused on. I am devastated for the incredible team that was fostered over the many years, but I am confident that they will find amazing new opportunities."
I know I'm not the only one to agree with Joanna! Rogers, what are you thinking??
Read on for 9 Questions with Joanna Track:
1. What is your morning routine?
I go to the gym between 6 and 7am (either spin or circuit class), then home to shower, eat and spend a little time with my son, Teddy, before I head to the office.
2. What five items should every woman have in her wardrobe this season? (You can find all of Joanna's picks at dealuxe.ca)
1. Coloured pant - make it a bright colour!
2. An oversized clutch
3. White jeans
4. Bright colour pump
5. Something striped - sweater or even a t-shirt
3. What fashion rules do you follow?
For me, I have to be comfortable first. If I don't feel good, it won't look good. I also stick to and invest in my basics (blazers, shoes, dress pants) and I find trendy but inexpensive trend items to complement my wardrobe.
4. What was the last book you read?
Steve Jobs. I highly recommend it! (Editor's Note: I recommend it too! Read this post for my lessons learned)
5. What inspires you?
The idea of building something. For me, I love building a brand. Taking something that's just an idea in my head and bringing it to life.
6. What are the secret contents of your handbag?
1. Miniature Lollia hand cream - they are the perfect purse size and you never know when you'll have a dry skin emergency!
2. Xyla candies - for a sweet pick me up without the guilt
7. If you could do anything other than what you are doing now, what would it be?
I have always wanted to work for the Four Seasons. i think it's an incredible brand, and Issy Sharp is one of my business idols. I think I could learn so much from him.
8. What are your top 3 pieces of career advice for women?
1. You don't always have to move "up" to be successful. Many times a horizontal shift will take you in a direction that is more interesting, and fulfilling.
2. The only ceiling is the one you put up yourself.
3. Be a consumate diplomat.
9. What are your top 3 pieces of "life" advice for women?
1. Pay it forward.
2. Life is short, don't spend it all working.
3. It all works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, you're not at the end yet!
Read 9 Questions with Joe Mimran, Trish Magwood, Ali DeBold, and Mireille Guiliano.
If you liked this post, please do share it! Thanks
Share This Article With Your Friends